Huddersfield Town AFC –
Lead Academy Performance Analyst
Up to £25,000 per annum
Full-time (35+ hours per week, including both home and away match days, evenings, and weekends)
We are looking for a talented individual to join our Academy and lead on analysing players’ performance, identifying patterns and trends to inform the coaching process, and providing data to support a holistic approach to player development and progression to First Team football. The successful candidate will work with the Academy Manager and the Head of Analysis and Innovation, to support players’ performance and progress.
This is a varied role in which you will assist with filming matches and training sessions, also analysing footage of opposing teams, to inform strategy and planning for upcoming matches.
Candidates must have previous experience of performance analysis in football, gained through paid employment and/or other work placements, combined with an undergraduate degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, for example, Sports Science, Performance Analysis, or Sports Coaching.
The varied nature of this role requires applicants to have excellent communication skills, a well-organised approach to work, and excellent IT skills, including previous experience with analysis software ‘Hudl SportsCode’ and other packages.
This role requires flexibility and a willingness to work non-standard hours in accordance with the needs of the Club. Passionate about making a difference through sport, the successful candidate must be able to form positive relationships with other team members and be committed to achieving individual and team-related objectives.
If you have the specified qualifications and personal attributes and are enthusiastic about the variety and opportunities that this role offers, we would love to hear from you.
We receive a high volume of applications for our vacancies and as such, we encourage you to ensure that your application details how you feel you match our requirements. The volume of applications received prevents us from being able to provide feedback at short-listing stage. Please ensure that your application is:
· Fully completed.
· Tailored for the requirements of the role – Section 6 of the application form should reflect how you meet the ‘essential’ and ‘desirable’ criteria for the position as detailed on the person specification (please follow the instructions on the application form).
· Accurate in terms of content and presentation.
· Submitted by the specified deadline.
Please also highlight any factors that you would like us to consider, for example, if you have a disability or health condition that may require us to make reasonable adjustments in accordance with the Equality Act 2010.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and we expect all staff and other stakeholders to share this commitment.
As this role is likely to involve the supervision of and work with children and young people or vulnerable adults, the successful candidate will require clearance to work in football and an Enhanced Criminal Records Check (CRC) through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Applicants must disclose all previous convictions including spent convictions in accordance with the associated legislation. The amendments to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (2013 and 2020) provide that when applying for certain jobs and activities, certain convictions and cautions are considered ‘protected’. This means that they do not need to be disclosed to employers, and if they are disclosed, employers cannot consider them.
Guidance about whether a conviction or caution should be disclosed is available on the Ministry of Justice website.
Equality & Inclusion
Huddersfield Town AFC is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where everyone can be themselves and in which everyone feels valued, included, and supported to achieve their full potential. We offer a range of family-friendly and inclusive employment arrangements, and we have a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.
We are committed to the redress of any inequalities by taking positive action where appropriate.
We are a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applications from disabled candidates. We are also seeking to diversify our workforce, particularly by gender and ethnicity.
Further information about the Company and working with us is available from the Careers section of our website:
To apply, please download an application form from our website. Please note that we do not accept CVs.
Please send your completed application by email to [email protected] by 9:00am on Monday 9th October 2023.
Interviews are likely to take place in mid-late October 2023.
Lead Academy Performance Analyst
Huddersfield Town AFC Academy / Millers Oils High Performance Complex
Academy Analysis Students
Future Academy Analysis Staff
Purpose of the Role
The post holder will implement and deliver Performance Analysis within the Huddersfield Town AFC Academy, and will also:
· Aid player development and inform the coaching process.
· Implement the analysis programme throughout the Academy age groups.
· Develop and record the coaching programme.
· Implement and timetable the plan, do, review academy teaching process.
Football Administration Manager / Academy Secretary
Player Recruitment Staff
Head of Analysis and Innovation
First Team Performance Analysis Staff
Staff and Managers throughout the Club and Foundation
External: Including but not limited to:
Performance Analysts from other Clubs
Software Maintenance Companies
Parents / Carers
Key Performance Indicators
· Patterns and trends in players’ performance are identified and used to positively impact on players’ individual development plans.
· Performance analysis data is shared with other Academy staff as required, to inform and support a holistic approach to player development and progression to First Team football.
Role Specific Responsibilities
· The post holder will:
· Be responsible for Academy Performance Analysis at Huddersfield Town.
· Manage the academy analysis student programme, to effectively deliver the Academy performance analysis programme.
· Adhere to the Academy’s Performance Plan to ensure that all relevant KPIs are maintained and consistently met.
· Organise the Performance Analysis team, in terms of both staffing and equipment.
· Work with and alongside the Academy Manager and Academy Coaches to produce a documented video compilation to run in parallel with the technical programme; this will incorporate match clips, how the team plays, and coaching sessions that enable players to understand the Club’s style of play.
· Assist with designing the Academy coaching programme by creating session animations, while integrating footage from training and matches.
· Produce visual aids to enable the Academy Coaches to understand the Academy coaching programme.
· Contact other Clubs to arrange provision of opposition footage.
· Provide opportunities for the Academy Coaches and Academy Manager to watch and analyse upcoming opponents.
· Provide detailed presentations outlining opposition style of play, game plans etc.
· Manage SportsCode integration for creating pre-match clips and ball in play footage for players and coaches to watch.
· Use a Huddersfield Town Academy template to live code key events from each game.
· Film matches and training sessions for the Huddersfield Town Academy and add them to Hudl for players and coaches to watch and review.
Match and Season Review
· Use SportsCode to create post-match clips for the Coaches to use for the team, unit, and individual player reviews.
· Produce post-match presentations that incorporate the playing philosophy, key themes, and any other review material Coaches request.
· Code individual player clips and maintain individual player databases.
· Compile, update, and present databases of performances in an easily accessible manner, and within appropriate timeframes.
· Liaise with the Head of Analysis and Innovation to undertake an end of season SWOT analysis and identify how to progress for the following season.
· Work alongside the Academy Recruitment Team to produce loan videos for players.
· Regularly undertake a comprehensive review of First Team Performance Analysis workflows and apply to Academy analysis where relevant.
· Ensure all staff in the Performance Analysis department undertake training and CPD to keep skills and knowledge at the forefront of industry standards, review associated learning and implement this into daily working practices.
· Remain up to date with current and emerging performance analysis trends and implement into personal practice.
· Set high standards for self and others and be dissatisfied with average performance.
· Maintain the highest standards of quality assurance and evidence-based practice, while remaining innovative and creative.
· Manage and upload documents onto SAP for the Coaching and Analysis teams. Keep up to date with attendance for all sessions and upload session plans designed by the Coaches and Analysts.
· Be willing to work unsociable hours, including evenings and weekends, to fulfil the demands of the role.
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive, and the post holder will also be required to undertake any other duties as required by the Academy Manager, the Head of Analysis and Innovation and/or any other Senior Manager/Director.